Looking to secure your online identity with a unique and memorable domain name? Handshake may be the solution you’ve been looking for.
What is Handshake?
Handshake is a decentralized, open-source domain name system (DNS) that utilizes blockchain technology to offer a secure and censorship-resistant alternative to traditional domain names. Created by a team led by Joseph Poon, co-author of the Lightning Network and Plasma, and Andrew Lee, founder of Purse.io, Handshake aims to give users more control over their online presence by providing a decentralized platform for registering and managing domain names.
How does it work?
Handshake domain names are registered and stored on the Handshake blockchain, rather than in a traditional DNS database. This means that they can be used in the same way as traditional domain names, but with the added benefits of decentralization and security provided by the blockchain. To register a Handshake domain, you’ll need to purchase Handshake coins (HNS) and use them to pay for the registration and renewal of your domain.
Why choose a Handshake domain?
There are several reasons why you might want to consider a Handshake domain:
- Decentralization: Because Handshake is decentralized and not controlled by any single organization, it is less susceptible to censorship and more resistant to outages.
- Security: The use of blockchain technology provides an additional layer of security for Handshake domains.
- Shortage of traditional domain names: As more and more domain names are registered, it can be difficult to find a short, memorable domain name that is still available in the traditional DNS system. Handshake allows users to register domain names that may not be available through traditional means.
- Experimentation: Handshake provides a platform for experimenting with new types of domain names and ways of using them.
- Community involvement: Handshake is an open-source project and relies on community participation. By using a Handshake domain, you can support the project and help contribute to its development.
What are the differences between Handshake and traditional TLDs?
While Handshake domain names can be used in much the same way as traditional TLDs, there are a few key differences between the two:
- Decentralization: Handshake is a decentralized domain name system based on blockchain technology, while traditional TLDs are managed by a few large organizations.
- Control: Because Handshake is decentralized, it is not controlled by any single organization, whereas traditional TLDs are subject to the policies of the organizations that manage them.
- Security: The use of blockchain technology in Handshake provides an additional layer of security for domain names registered on the platform.
- Availability: Handshake allows users to register domain names that may not be available in the traditional DNS system.
- Compatibility: Handshake domain names are not yet recognized by all internet service providers (ISPs) and may not work for all users. As the adoption of Handshake domains grows, this is likely to become less of an issue.
In summary, Handshake is a decentralized, secure alternative to traditional domain names that provide users with more control over their online identity. While it may not yet be fully compatible with all ISPs and devices, the use of Handshake domains is growing and they offer a unique opportunity for experimentation and community involvement.